Sunday, May 2, 2010

Parent Groupie

I have to confess something, I am a parental groupie. Being back full swing into my nanny way of life has reaffirmed my weird obsession. As a 23 year old woman with aspirations of marriage and children I am constantly watching the dynamics of young families around me and in a sense, taking notes for when I have my own children. I have spent thousands upon thousands of dollars of my parents money learning about how to teach and guide young children, everything from discipline to lesson plans to potty training. My work "in the field" has helped me recognize diaper rashes, yeast infections, RSV, asthma and allergic reactions. All of this education has not taught me how to parent. Sure I feel like I will be more prepared for motherhood, but there are some things you just can't learn from books.

Most of what I learn now is taken and helped me form opinions on products and methods. I do plan on breastfeeding for 6 months if possible, mostly because I have seen the price of formula. Society makes it seem like there are HUGE differences between the children who were breastfed more, but I really couldn't tell. The 2 most verbal children I have ever met were not breastfed extensively, 2 others who are also above average weren't breastfed at all. So don't feel so guilty parents, formula is engineered so perfectly that using a bottle is hardly going to prevent your child from getting into college.

I have some pretty solid opinions on diapers. I've seen just how much trash a family with a baby can accumulate, and recently learned that the inside of a disposable diaper contains chlorine. Because of this I am completely dedicated to the idea of using cloth diapers. I haven't decided if I'll spend the money on a service or wash them myself, probably a combination.

I often wonder if other girls my age pay attention so closely to how parents talk to children in order to see what's effective and what isn't.

8 comments:

  1. I just found your blog through Fed up with Lunch! I really liked your guest post. My sister works at a childcare center and has some of the same gripes as you.
    I am about to become a first time mom, so I pay attention to a lot of the things you are talking about. I was out to dinner with my husband, and a young family was there with their ~6 mo old baby. The husband was whistling at the child to get her attention- like she was a dog! I immediately looked at my husband and told him never to whistle at our baby! Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen guys snap in their kids faces like they were a particularly slow waiter or something. It's awful that some men just don't have good instincts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have me laughing out loud @ "parent groupie". I can totally relate. I've been a nanny, preschool teacher, and babysitter for years. I sometimes feel strange about being vocal in regards to child rearing because I'm not a parent myself, but I have so much experience and have done a lot of research on the subject. I find it all so interesting - I definitely read my share of "mommy blogs" and the momversation website is a guilty pleasure of mine.

    That said, if/when I someday have children of my own I know I'll STILL have a lot to learn. I guess that's the beauty of it.

    So glad to have found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really glad I'm not alone. I really do feel like a freak when I'm thinking about the pros and cons of buying a double stroller with a big kid seat and baby seat vs. buying a normal stroller...and I'm not married or engaged yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too found your blog through Fed Up with Lunch. Although I haven't gone through your blog and read all of your entries the few I have read strike a nerve with me. I worked in childcare for many years, as a teacher's assistant for a few years, and as a 1st & 2nd grade classroom teacher (for 3 years) before having children of my own. I CRINGE at the way I must have seemed like a "know it all" of children before having my own. I know I didn't intend to come off that way as you are not meaning to either. I thought having a child at home for a few hours before and after school was likely a breeze in comparison to 20 plus 6 and 7 year olds. BOY WAS I WRONG! You'll never, and I mean NEVER have a clue what parenthood entails and how you will respond to it until you have a child of your own. I hope your blog tries to be a bit less preachy (it is, and I know you don't intend it to).

    Jen G.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I try to keep stating that I don't judge parents and I do freely admit I am young and naive and idealistic, but I do have educated opinions because I have been in the game long enough to notice patterns emerge, and I am not one to sugarcoat things. My blog is an honest look at child care from my own personal point of view.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No fooling, you work in day cares and do not see a difference in general health for the breastfed tots? Not so much with the constant runny noses, kennel coughs...

    Also, it's not just about the milk. You will feel differently nursing your own child.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I came over from your guest post on "Fed Up with Lunch" -- great post, by the way. I taught preschoolers in a daycare setting for almost ten years, and was childless until my final year of teaching, when I decided to leave my job to stay home w/ my son.

    I know I learned so much while teaching, what to do and what not to do once I had children. And I know I was very judgmental as well (hopefully I was able to hide that from the parents, though!) Once you have a child of your own, it is different, so different...but I still keep in mind the life-lessons I learned while teaching. I have had to let up on some of my ideals, though.

    Oh, as far as breastfeeding is concerned, the benefits of nursing are far beyond anything dealing with a child's future intelligence. There are vast, documented physical, emotional, and developmental benefits. Incidence of illness is decreased (colds/flu, ear infections, diarrhea, etc), a child's future risk of developing diabetes, allergies, leukemia, asthma, obesity, and digestive disorders are drastically reduced. Breastfeed babies are far less likely to die from SIDS. Nursing helps with oral development, decreasing the chance of needing braces down the line.

    There are documented benefits for nursing mother's, as well. Her risks of developing breast, cervical, endometrial or ovarian cancer is decreased.

    Formula is an adequate substitute for breast milk if a mother can't/won't breastfeed, but it's not "as good" as breast milk. Not by a long shot. And that's been proven in study after study. The American Academy of Pediatrics even recommends "Exclusive breastfeeding for approximately the first six months and support for breastfeeding for the first year and beyond as long as mutually desired by mother and child." http://aappolicy.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/pediatrics;115/2/496

    Anyhow, I wanted to say that I've enjoyed what I've read of your blog so far -- you're definitely bringing back memories, both good and bad -- of a job that I once loved very much.

    ReplyDelete