Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Impromptu Interview

As I write this I am sitting at my kitchen table helping my favorite 4th grader with his math homework. This is a fairly new arrangement, he is a neighbor of mine so I cover the overlapping hours between pick up at the elementary school (which is in view of my front door) and when their mother gets home. I really like this gig because it allows me chill out on my days off from my other nanny job and still have a little income.

So after getting the kids situated with their homework I ask them what I should blog about today. Unfortunately the stress of allergies, homework, the mean teacher and other kid issues have them distracted. However, their conversations with each other intrigue me, my brother and I never spoke unless we were fighting so to see civil polite conversation coming from a 9 and 10 year old is nothing short of fascinating.

I decided to ask them some questions.

Do you remember the first time I babysat you?

Nathan: -nods-
Hannah: I do!
Me: You couldn't you were just a baby.
Hannah: I was?
Me: Yeah you were still in a diapers, I remember because you screamed the whole time.
Nathan: She's a crier, that one.

What's you're favorite thing to do when you're with a babysitter?

Nathan: Ummm finish my homework?
Hannah: Play in the yard.

-They start talking about how babysitting is 'sitting on babies' which leads to fart jokes-

What are good qualities of a babysitter?

Hannah:...that you know what you're doing.
Nathan: Respectful, kind, helps with homework...
Hannah: Plays with you after homework.

What are some bad qualities of a babysitter?

Hannah: -mouthful of crackers- fjneridfner-you
Me: Cheating on you?
Hannah: SITTING!
Nathan: Lying to the parents about us being bad when we were good.
Me: Have you had babysitters that lied to your mom before?
Nathan: Not that I know of...

1 comment: